Investing in regional tourism
- 07 Jun, 2019
Will Hodgman, Premier & Minister for Tourism, Hospitality and Events
Tourism fuels our state’s economy and contributes more than $3 billion to gross state product, while supporting around 38,000 jobs - 15.6% of total employment across the state.
The Tasmanian Liberal Government continues to invest strongly to maintain the momentum in our thriving visitor economy and ensure every region reaps the benefits.
The 2019-20 State Budget commits $20 million into a new Regional Loan Attraction Scheme that will provide low interest loans of up to $1 million for businesses to invest in new projects that will stimulate their local visitor economy.
The Scheme will support the development of job creating tourism attractions such as bespoke accommodation, cellar doors, and agri-tourism experiences.
During the past year the Government has taken a number of steps to support visitor growth in regional areas, including;
- Supporting Tourism Tasmania marketing diversification to attract visitors who are more likely to travel further and spend more;
- Growing the number of flights to the North;
- Launching the Western Wilds drive journey;
- Investing $72 million in our Roads to Support Tasmania’s Visitor Economy program; and
- Investing in the new Event Attraction Fund which helps attract major events to regional centres.
We cannot take our tourism success for granted which is why my Government is investing more to maintain the momentum and grow tourism across the state to support local businesses and create new jobs.